Tuesday, August 19, 2008



I have some monarch chrysalids now. This is my newest monarch chrysalis. If you open a moth cocoon (cocoons are what moths spin), you will find the skin it shed inside the cocoon. If you have a pre-pupa that spins a chrysalis, it will shed its skin outside the chrysalis. On these pictures, you can see some bright colors on this monarch chrysalis. This one has fallen off of a stick that I put in my bug pavilion. If you look close, you can see this pupa's wings. On another chrysalis I have you can even see orange.

2 comments:

DASKMA said...

These are amazing images, Jack! I wish we were there to see them in person! -Kathleen

DASKMA said...

Hi Jack!
Danielle and I were just looking at your web page. We hope you will have time to post more things soon, even though butterflies are not very active in Chicago in the wintertime...
Love,
Danielle and Kathleen